Quinoa is one of my favorites. It’s a great base for whatever you want to grill up. One of my favorite things to do is dig through the fridge for any vegetables on hand and just start grilling/sautéing. Let the quinoa cook while you’re mixing up the other stuff. It’s a filling meal and makes great leftovers.
So, I was happy to see this recipe in the Thug Kitchen cookbook and I immediately knew I had to try it. It’s super simple. Enjoy!
- 1 tsp plus 2 tbl olive oil
- 1 1/2 cupst quinoa
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tbl lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbl rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbl minced green onions
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- Grab a medium saucepan with a lid and heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium heat. Add the quinoa and saute it around until it starts to smell a little nutty, about 2 minutes. Add the water and salt and bring it to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and let that simmer until the quinoa is tender, 15 to 18 minutes. If the quinoa is ready but there is water left at the bottom, just drain it in your mesh strainer, return it to the pot, and cover it with a towel while you get your other shit in order.
- Mix together the lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar, and remianing 2 tablespoons olive oil in a small glass. After the quinoa has cooled for a couple of minutes, add the lemon dressing, mint, and green onions to it. Toss well and fold in the almonds. Tast to see if you want more salt, mint, or whatthefuckever. Serve at room temperature or cold.
- I would never eat this at room temp or cold. I like it hot.
- Whatthefuckever is now my favorite word.
- Jack this shit up by adding some faux chicken (I use the Gardein brand.)