UPDATE: Well, this is so, so. Honestly, unless someone can give me an idea on how to kick this up about 20 notches, I’d pass. The mango and cayenne are the only two things that give this any kind of flavor. Verdict: pass!
If you don’t love coconut or lime or red beans or mango…well, there’s something wrong with you. This shit looks hella good. Seriously carby, but hella good!
I love making simple bowls and eating on them all week for lunch. You can make up a whole tub of this stuff and just nuke it each day.
The coconut and mango in this dish should make it a little sweet with the acidity from the lime creating a nice balance. Yes, there are probably a shitload of carbs in this dish, but if you’re doing your cardio, like you’re supposed to, that shouldn’t matter. Go run 5 miles then have this for dinner. Ultra-runner Scott Jurek doesn’t give a shit about carbs so neither should you.
Coconut-Lime Rice with Red Beans and Mango
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 2 tsp EVOO
- 1 cup diced shallots or onions
- 1 1/2 tbl minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup canned coconut milk – full fat
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 mango
- 1 1/2 cups cooked red beans
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- Chopped cilantro or green onion for serving
- Rinse the rice under cool water. Heat up the oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the shallots and sauté until they start to brown in some sports, about 3 minutes. Add the ginger and sauté for 30 seconds until everything smells choice. Add the rice and keep stirring until the rice starts to smell slightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk, broth, salt, and cayenne pepper and bring to a simmer. Give the pot a quick stir, cover it, and reduce the heat to low. Keep it all at a very gentle simmer and leave it the fuck alone until the rice is tender and has absorbed nearly all the liquid, about 40 minutes. if your rice isn’t done by the time you run out of liquid, don’t stress that shit; just add a little more broth or water.
- While the rice is cooking, chop u the mango into bite-size pieces. If you don’t know how to chop up a mango, YouTube that shit. you should get around 1 1/2 cups of flesh from 1 mango.
- When the rice is tender, fold in the beans, lime zest, lime juice, and mango. Let this all cook together for another minute or two so that everything is warmed up. Serve warm, topped with cilantro or green onions.
Be careful with the cayenne. That can really fuck up a recipe!
Here are some other Thug Kitchen recipes you might like: